Coronavirus – Symptoms, Prevention, Treatment
The course of coronavirus is different. It can be either asymptomatic, a mild cold or in severe form with a risk of death. The main symptoms are:
- rhinitis, manifested by nasal congestion;
- difficulty in nasal breathing;
- watery nosal secretion, which then become mucous.
In some cases, coronavirus infection of the lower respiratory tract is complicated with the development of pneumonia, accompanied by cough, chest pain during breathing, difficulty breathing.
Coronavirus symptoms are characteristic of other acute respiratory viral infections such as: sore throat when swallowing, general weakness, moderate headache, fever.
Damage to the gastrointestinal tract can proceed as an acute gastroenteritis with nausea and diarrhea.
The immediate death, in most cases, was caused by progressive acute respiratory failure. The patient suffocates and dies if he is not connected to the ventilator on time.
What are preventive measures for Covid-19 (Coronavirus infection)?
Due to the unfavorable situation associated with the new coronavirus (2019-nCoV), in order to prevent the occurrence and further spread of the infection, the following precautions are recommended:
- when planning trips, the epidemiological situation in this location should be clarified;
- do not visit markets where animals, seafood are sold;
- do not visit zoos, cultural events involving animals;
- use respiratory protective masks;
- change the mask in a timely manner as soon as it becomes wet;
- drink only bottled water;
- eat only thermally processed food;
- better to refrain from exotic and uncharacteristic for the usual diet meals;
- refuse from eating outside;
- wash hands after visiting crowded places and before meal;
- at the first signs of the disease, seek medical help, do not allow self-medication.
Possible Coronavirus treatment
Aralen (Chloroquine) is a drug widely used for the prevention and treatment of malaria (500 mg for adults, twice a day), as well as ribavirin in combination with interferon or lopinavir/ritonavir. Such a combination helps to effectively fight coronavirus.
However, Chinese doctors warn that such treatment regimens are aimed only at eliminating the general symptoms of the disease. But there is no specific therapy for Covid-19 yet.
Lopinavir, commonly prescribed for treating HIV patients, and the antiviral drug remdesivir, originally produced to treat Ebola and Marburg virus, were also used to treat coronavirus infection in China.