What does this Program Do?
Disease Prevention strives to reduce the incidence of disease in Yavapai County. This is accomplished through the efforts of the Epidemiology, Communicable Disease Reporting, Sexually Transmitted Disease and Tuberculosis Control and Prevention Staff at Yavapai County Community Health Services.
The Yavapai County Community Health Services epidemiologist carries out the following activities:
- Tracks and investigates communicable disease cases, (e.g. Pertussis, hepatitis, food borne illness, etc.), and participates in implementing interventions to stop the spread of disease. Implementation strategies may include education, immunization, quarantine, preventive treatment and others. For information on how to report a communicable disease, visit our Communicable Disease Reporting page.
- Investigates and responds to disease outbreaks. Outbreaks could be caused by the consumption of contaminated food or water, by exposure to infected persons or animals, or by other means. Investigations may include requesting restaurant or other site inspections, interviewing patients and contacts, obtaining medical records and specimens, reviewing laboratory results, analyzing statistical data and other tasks. To report a complaint about a food establishment, visit our Environmental Health – Complaints page.
- Plans for and responds to public health emergencies (e.g. avian influenza, serious weather conditions, and intentional acts, etc.) in coordination with Public Health Preparedness and Response.
- Produces reports and presentations on diseases and health conditions in Yavapai County.
- Conducts studies of local public health importance.
For state-wide health information, visit the Arizona Department of Health Services and Arizona Health Matters websites.
For national health statistics, visit the National Center for Health Statistics website.
For population statistics, visit the U.S. Census Bureau website.
If you are looking for information about individual birth and death certificates, visit our Vital Records page.